Monday, July 20, 2020

Pigtail Party July 2020


Going back in time and documenting gaps in our chronological scrapbooks is always a fun and satisfying break from whatever larger album or project we are working on.

This two photo sketch from Sketch N Scrap was a quick way for me to design a page and remember a simple and cute day together when I got the rare opportunity to babysit my niece. She was almost two years old, and had the reputation of not permitting her mother to style her hair at all. Her hair was baby soft, long and wavy like her beautiful mother, and always hanging down in her face. Since I only have boys I was excited to have the opportunity to 'play' with her hair like I used to do to my little sister when we were kids. So, I styled her hair in both pony and pigtails as the day went on, and my son loved having a playmate an friend to enjoy lunch with, as you can see from his cheesy smile!


This is one of my favorite photographs of my niece and I especially liked the purple tones of her shirt, so I thought it would also be appropriate to also submit for the July 2020 Red Challenge from My Little Scrapbook Store. I thought the purple in her shirt would compliment the collection of red paper and elements featured on the page. The challenge was to be inspired by the following mood board:


I thought the grid of the board complimented the 'grid' of images on the patterned retro paper, and I also focused on the ladybug image and rotated it because it also reflected the sketch i was using for inspiration. I used the Vicki Boutin stencil because it reminded me of the ladybug spots and the splatters on the sketch.

sdm-



Mixed Media:
Supplier: My Little Scrapbook Store West Orange, NJ
gina k Glitz glitter gel. Red Velvet.
Vicki Boutin Let's Wander Stencil. 
Tonic Palette Knife.

powder puff Coal Miner Chalking Ink by Quick Quotes.
Artist's Loft 0.3 illustration pen. Supplier: Michaels.
Prismacolor Marker. Broad tip. Crimson Red. PM-4

Paper:
Supplier: Michaels.
Solid: Recollections.
Patterned: Studio Calico.

Stamps:
AlPhaBeT. Wood stamps.

Alphas:
Thickers. Celebrate. Supplier: My Little Scrapbook Store West Orange, NJ.
Alpha Brads: Unknown.

Embellishments:
Pop-Up Dot Stickers. Crafter's Square. Supplier: Dollar Tree. 
Washi Tape. Unknown.
Grommet. Supplier: Eyelet Outlet.

Shape Templates:
KiwiLane. Elements1. Brackets1.

Adhesive:
Tonic Studios double ended Glue Pen. Supplier: My Little Scrapbook Store West Orange, NJ
Liquid Glue: Unknown. Supplier: Michaels.
ATG: Unknown.

12 comments:

  1. Love your mix of distressed looking papers along with your stencil work! Thanks so much for joining us at Sketch N Scrap! ~Deanna :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deanna. I’m just starting to get more comfortable with experimenting with stencils.

      Delete
  2. Wow!! This is amazing! I really love the way you used the stencil on this layout and how fun that you had this time with your adorable niece! Thanks for joining us at Sketch N Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is a cutie! What a fun page to document your day with your niece :) Fantastic job with the sketch & I really like your bold colors and title work! Thanks for joining us at Sketch N Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx stacylee. i enjoyed merging the two challenges which forced me to find all the red paper and embellishments i had in my stash... i realized that i hardly had anything red, which tells me that i need to perhaps consider going bold more often. ;)

      Delete
  4. What a fun memory to get scrapped! Your layout is super cute and so are those kiddos! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Sketch N Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think cute kids is one of the best things about scrapbooking, ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute layout & story! Love the title too! Great take on the sketch! Thanks for playing along at Sketch N Scrap this month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute layout wonderfully done background too :) I like your take on the sketch Thanks so much for joining us at Sketch N Scrap! Tina-DT

    ReplyDelete