Monday, June 29, 2020

Sketch N Scrap June 2020 Challenge #203 Allagash Brewing Co


Continuing to work on our family vacation album from last summer to New England.... ever get 3/4 of the way done through a project and feel like you are loosing steam? ... just want to be done already! Thankful for these little challenges to make the task more fun along the way. I'll journal once I finish the entire album.

On the way out of Portland we made the obligatory short stop at the famous Allagash Brewary for a tasting. We try to embrace the local specialties on all our travels. Our son made fast friends with a huge, old dog named Blitzen, whose owner was having alot of trouble trying to convince Blitzen it was time to leave the beer garden and move onto their next stop. Blitzen was enormous, and doesn't go anywhere fast!

I struggled for a long time with this background. I wanted to focus on soft yellows and oranges to compliment the golden colors of beer, but realized I didn't have a large selection of paper to choose from in my stash with those color tones. I also wanted to incorporate both wood and the soft silver colors of brushed metal to reflect the materials in the beer garden. I even created a completely different background before settling on this one, and took a straw pole here at home before deciding. In the end,  my unofficial opinion sampling group of my husband and two boys agreed the colors of this background complimented the beer colors better, which was my goal to begin with.

I also wanted to try a tone on tone technique after I was inspired by Stacy's layout with the white grid background and white stenciling. So, I tried to stencil over the patterned paper background with Nuvo Glacier Paste, and then again on a solid cardstock with the powder puff chalking ink to create some subtle stenciling. Both are hard to see.

sdm-


Mixed Media:
Supplier: My Little Scrapbook Store West Orange, NJ
Nuvo Pineapple Delight Glacier Paste.
Vicki Boutin Let's Wander Stencil. 
Catherine Pooler CPMinis Icing on the Cake Ink.
Tonic Palette Knife.
pink & Main Blender Brush. 
powder puff Orange Slice Chalking Ink by Quick Quotes.
Stampin' Up! Dazzling Details Silver Sparkle Drops.
Artist's Loft 0.3 illustration pen. Supplier: Michaels.

Adhesive:
Tonic Studios double ended Glue Pen. Supplier: My Little Scrapbook Store West Orange, NJ
ATG: Unknown.

Paper:
Supplier: Michaels.
Solid: Recollections Neutrals.
Patterned: Studio Calico. Chevron and Polkadots.
Journal Cut Aparts: Recollections Let's Get Lost.
Patterned:
Corrigated Metal. Close to My Heart Urban. Representative: Kristine Teanse Easton, PA.
Wood. National Park Collection Acadia National Park by Scrapbook Customs. Scrapbook Supply Companies.
 
Stamps:
Alphas. craft smart wood stamps. Supplier: Michaels.
Date stamp: Supplier: Staples.

Embellishments:
Supplier: Stampin' Up!
Ribbon.
Bakers Twine. Wisteria Wonder.
Little Birdie. Juicy Jars. My Little Scrapbook Store West Orange, NJ .
Wood Arrow: Close to My Heart Urban. Representative: Kristine Teanse Easton, PA.
Stickers: DCWV Page Tabs. Supplier: HSN.

Ephemera:
Drink Coaster. Allagash Brewing Co.
Flowers: natural life boho bandeau packaging.

8 comments:

  1. The papers are perfect for this layout and I love that you added the extra photo to the top of the layout too. love what you did with the sketch :) Thanks for joining us at Sketch N Scrap :)
    Tina - DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Tina! That little “photo” on top is actually half of a coaster from the brewery! I liked the image of the barrel they had on it. If u look closely, u will see I used the bottom part of the coaster as part of the title... sneaky!😉

      Delete
  2. Really wonderful take on the sketch and love your chevron paper! Thanks so much for joining us at Sketch N Scrap! ~Deanna :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Deanna. I love the look of chevron, too, but never have a lot of luck using it successfully so I’m really happy with this one. I was so desperate for those yellow/orange colors I used a REALLY cheap and thin chevron Studio Calico paper I had in a paper pad, and mounted it on TWO pieces of card stock just to keep it stable in order to apply the glacier paste stenciling on top and keep paper from warping too much! goes to show u, sometimes the cheap paper looks the nicest.

      Delete
  3. Great take on the sketch! I love your layout and that background paper looks amazing! Thanks for joining us at Sketch N Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx so much for ur kind words of support Lisa!

      Delete
  4. Love the chevron and the colors and embellies you used are perfect for beer photos! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Sherri! I've got to focus on more yellows and golds the next time I shop for paper... because I'm a beer fan. ;)

      Delete