Friday, May 21, 2021

Shades of Spring May 2021


I had so much fun learning a new technique (for me) on this page. I own very, very, few stamps, so incorporating stamps into a page is a challenge for me. I finally broke open a Heidi Swapp Honey & Spice stamp set last week that I bought specifically for a journaling box stamp. I have only used one other stamp in the collection. Since I needed to incorporate flowers into the Scrap our Stash challenge below, I decided to try the flower stamp, and ended up using several others on this page.

In addition, I’ve only used my heat embosser a handful of times, so I decided to try it again. I started with an Altenew flower medallion stencil on Vicki Boutin Enjoy Today mixed media paper. It was only then I read the fine print on the back of the embossing powder that I realized I could emboss stamps using oxide inks. Once I started embossing stamps, I didn’t want to stop. I even went back and added more embossed stamping the next morning after I thought I was done.

I’m not a fan of this paper pad, and decided to start using it more aggressively to use it up. Indeed I covered up most of the design, and then cut up another page with colors I liked to use as photo mats.

Then, I looked for yellow paper to use similar to the marigolds, and found an old Stampin up! mini kit I was gifted as an crop door prize I’ve been hoarding for years. I also found a coordinating sheet of Honey & Spice paper that reminded me of the camouflage pattern on my son’s shirt, and started layering other patterned paper from the mini kit to match the sketch below.

Sketch and flowers inspiration:

MLSS stamp inspiration:


I loved the vibe my son is giving off in this pic, wearing his “shades” and saying he’s getting older and too cool for mom to snap his pic, hence the title inspiration. We had a lovely Saturday afternoon together eating lunch while watching planes land and take off from our little local airfield, and then I picked some flowers from our yard to freshen up our bedroom.

Other supplies used:
Simple stories large alphas.
Cloud builder stencil.
Tag, grommet, small alphas, wood and paper flower ephemera: unknown
Simply white Nuvo drops.
Pink & Main enamel dots. Happy mail.
Distress oxide speckled egg and stormy sky.
Powder puff chaulking ink: Feather grey.
Embossing powders: Distress salvaged patina and peeling paint, Wow Manuela’s honey, Nuvo happy daze.
Date stamp: Staples.
Scotch ATG.
12” CM straight trimmer.
Artist’s Loft Illustration Pen: 0.3 brown.
Kingart fine tip pen: Grey.


 



10 comments:

  1. Great job with this challenge. Love the cloudy background paper. Thanks for playing along at SCRAP OUR STASH - DT Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx gail, i used a cloud builder stencil for that background. i'm obsessed with it!

      Delete
  2. Lovely mixed media. Thanks so much for joining us at Scrap Our Stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx melissa, yeah i really went crazy with the mixed media on this one... i usually go in all or nothing! ;)

      Delete
  3. Fun play on words! Thanks for joining us at Scrap Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx so much for noticing, shannon! i always have trouble with titles, and was so proud of myself for coming up with this one!

      Delete
  4. Very pretty! Great colors! Thanks for joining us at Scrap Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx, wendy! i usually don't use much pink, but after this page, i want to use more!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful layout! Thanks for playing along with SOS!

    ReplyDelete