Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Big Shot April 2021





I could feel this layout coming together well early on, and I knew I was going to love it! Ever get that feeling? Sometimes you finish a layout, and you may have a couple regrets, but you put it in the “it’s done” category and move on. And sometimes you can’t stop staring at when you finish because you can’t believe how great it came out!🥰

Everything just seemed to fall into place for this layout, I even used some scraps that I created with a stencil and left over mixed media from another layout. All the uTube scrap videos remind us to use up left over mixed media on scrap paper to use in the future, and I always forget. So glad I remembered this time!

Believe it or not, this is the first time I have ever made my own die cut and embossing on a layout! I asked for a cheap table top die and embossing machine for Christmas from my family, and I finally had the courage to break it out for the first time yesterday. I’ve never been a fan of spending my craft budget on big ticket items and cost of all those dies and folders still seem high to me, but I have to admit, I LOVED being able to create the exact paper shapes and especially texture I wanted on demand... I suspect you will see this technique incorporated into my layouts in the future... but I’m still not a fan of investing in a library of diecuts. That being said, I’m probably going to start searching my favorite suppliers for embossing folders by the end of the day...🙄.

I don’t have a dedicated craft room, and use my dining room (which we use as a family daily) as double duty. It forces me to keep my supplies tucked away and organized regularly, and limit my supplies. My theory has always been, paper and embellishments get used and they are gone from your stash, but permanent supplies take up permanent space.

I must give credit to three inspirations for this page:

Color and proportion inspiration: Paper Issues. I’m absolutely obsessed with the chevron stamp I purchased from Paper Issues recently, and this mood board is so pretty. As I mentioned, I’ve never been a huge fan of stash libraries full of stamps, punches, dies and embossing folders, but I’m so happy with this stamp investment.




I only had two photos to scrap form this very important moment with my mom, and this sketch from Scrap our Stash was the perfect size to accommodate. I recently tried to create my own sketch, and it’s a lot harder than it looks! I admire those who have the skills to look at a blank page and can create a design with visual and graphic balance. I’m so grateful that this group provides me the jumping off inspiration I always need to interpret.

Finally, I tend to forget to look at my photos in other ways besides rectangle proportions, perhaps because of my love of photography. I was so grateful that the Lasting Memories #543 challenge required a 4x4 photo, as it reminded me to consider cropping square more often in the future. I like the balance it gives to a 12x12 layout.


Finally, PLEASE, please, please seriously consider getting you and your families Covid-19 vaccinated. No matter what your hesitation, political officiation, etc., it’s so important for us all to support each other and keep each other safe going forward into the future.

Supplies:
Featured paper collection: Vicki Boutin Color Kaleidoscope: Odds and Ends, Kaleidoscope and Flower Shop patterned papers, Sticker Book, Hello Friend cardstock stickers, Colorful enamel stickers.
Fussy cuts: Photo Play. Living the Quarantine Life. Stay Safe.
Reflections Craft paper.
Alphas: Scrap die cuts. Scraparatus.
Sunlit Tag and paper diecut and embosser.

Mixed Media:
Vicki Boutin powdered pigment: Blue Hawaiian.
Ranger Texture paste opaque matte.
Vicki Boutin Matte Acrylic gel.
Stencil Girl.
Pinkfresh Studio Nested Chevron stamp.
Quick quotes powder puff chaulking inks: Royal Blue, Lemon Chiffon.
Distress Oxide: Rustic Wilderness, Crackling Campfire, Wild Honey, Victorian Velvet.
Catherine Pooler premium dye ink: Stone Blue.
Nuvo drops: Navy Blue Crystal and Emerald Isle Vintage.

Colorful button Brads: Stampin up!
Date stamp: Staples.
Kingart fine tip pen: Red Orange 122.
Artist’s Loft Illustration Pen: 0.3 blue.
Scotch ATG.
Red top fine line glue.
Tonic palette knife.
Silver grommets.
Blue striped twine.

Humbled and thankful of the recognition this layout received:

8 comments:

  1. What a awesome layout! Great details and stash use. Thanks for your entry in our challenge at Scrap Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fun colourful layout and tells an important story. Hubby and I got our first vaccination last week! Thanks for playing along at SCRAP OUR STASH - DT Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fantastic! so happy for you and your husband, gail! thx for the kind feedback.

      Delete
  3. I took photos of this occasion as well to scrap. I like your use of all that color. Thanks so much for joining us at Scrap Our Stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happy day equals happy colors! congrats on your vaccination and here's to the continued health of our world citizens.

      Delete
  4. Love how colorful this is! Thanks for playing along with Scrap Our Stash!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx so much for your kind words, shannon! :)

      Delete