Saturday, January 9, 2021

Legacy of Letters Jan 2021

 

My husband’s grandfather, “Louie Pops,” had a huge personality and was a significant influence on our lives. He was a prolific letter writer (Three decades of letters and articles he sent us are located in three overstuffed boxes in our living room.) He religiously read the New York Times each morning, carefully clipped articles that somehow brought to mind someone he loved. (Just a passing and vague reference to your alma mater in a newspaper or magazine would reward you days later with a little white envelope in your mailbox with severely angled, barely legible handwriting stuffed with a meticulously folded clipping and notes written in the margins.) Once you were selected to be on his mailing list, this river of communications from the US Post Office flowed freely and regularly for years. We joked he kept the post office in business.

The first December after we were married, we received this short letter, simply explaining the ritual of lighting the candles at Chanukah, and the translated from Yiddish a prayer that is to be said allowed. Pops was a deeply religious man, but extremely tolerant and well read on all religions. (He was a BIG fan of Pope Francis.) My husband considered himself Jewish, but his parents lack of religious guidance didn’t provide him a formal religious education. We had already decided to raise any future children we had Catholic, as my family practiced, however I also understood being the child of divorced parents my husband cherished what family traditions he remembered from his youth, and celebrating the Jewish holidays with his grandparents was definitely one of those memories. So, for 25 years, we have done the best we can honoring Chanukah, Rosh Hashanah and a Passover in our household with foods and rituals, explaining to our boys the historical significance of each holiday and how it directly relates to their own religion of choice and family traditions.


I started with a Vicki Boutin mixed media printed foundations paper with two very old Stampin’up! patterned and washi paper collection kits, and decade old Chanukah paper I had in my stash. I broke into a new collection of Ella & Viv Spice Market and used the Medina paper. I also used some gold washi tape, DCWV brights cardstock, faux enamel dots from the dollar store and Nuvo glitter drops. I love my new kingart dual tip brush pens, and the alpha and K&Company medallion stickers I snagged on the 99 cent racks at Michaels recently. I tried to follow the mirrored Stick it Down January 2021 single page sketch below when layering Tim Holtz Distressed Oxide Wild Honey, Speckled Egg and Hickory Smoke inks brushed through two different stencils (Vicki Boutin Kalidascope and Scrapbook.com Vintage Moroccan) over the preprinted background. Fineline red tip and unknown ATG glue. CM 12” straight trimmer. My favorite part of this page is the colorful chipboard and accitate medallions, which were an afterthought and not in mind when I gathered my possible materials at the beginning of this project. 


I really liked the modernity graphic menorah on the somewhat tacky old Chanukah paper so I included it on the page and submitted to the January 2021 Paper Issues fussy cut challenge.

I designed this as a stand alone layout, but did have its neighboring page, Happy Hanukkah January 2021 in mind to draw upon some artistic inspiration.

 This entry marks one year since I started this blog. I’m so grateful there I’ve been consistent with my entries all year. It’s been a great release to document my thoughts during this stressful time, and happy that I’ve found a medium that allows myself to successfully journal and produce art after many years of trying and failing. Apparently it takes 50 years to make a habit stick.🙄

sdm-


10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute, and memorabilia! A truly beautiful page to honor his legacy of letter writing. I love the gold accents and lettering. I admire how you are teaching your children about the significance of traditions passed down through your family. We did the same when our kids were growing up. Thanks so much for joining us at Stick It Down with your gorgeous layout. Sharon DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your thoughtful words are so appreciated Sharon!
      Happy new year to you and your family. Wishing u health, safety and happiness.

      Delete
  2. Vintage is my heart and soul! Absolutely love the capture of the letters and all the distressing you did. Thank you for being a scrappy soul sister! ~Sherry DT @ SID

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx and so sorry i missed replying to your comment, Sherry! I would love to do more Vintage work, I definitely need to carve out some dedicated time to try.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful page! I love all of the history involved in this. What great memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx so much, wendy and so sorry not to comment sooner. We miss Pops so much, and i'm so thankful to have the opportunity to document his influence on our family.

      Delete
  4. I'm in awe of the this layout! Great job flipping the sketch and making it your own. Love the documentation and subject. Beautiful details...so much to love. Thanks for joining us at Stick it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, your thoughtful words are so appreciated! Thx for taking the time to read about our beloved Louie. He was a really special man.

      Delete
  5. I love how you scrapbooked photos of some special letters. these things often get overlooked. Thank you so much for playing along at Stick it Down .
    Looking forward to seeing you again next time.
    Love Alex
    PinkCraftyMama
    Stick it Down DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so satisfying and heartwarming to get this documented, thx Alex! You are definitely correct, these personal items often get overlooked.

      Delete