Friday, May 29, 2020

Challenge YOUrself May 2020 challenge Mother's Day Natirar Cooking School


My wonderful husband gifted my mom, sister and I with a fabulous Mother's Day gift in 2018. He surprised us with a reservation to an Italian vegetarian cooking class at a luxurious hotel/restaurant/spa located on the grounds of a beautiful turn-of-the-century mansion and grounds in Somerset County, NJ called Natirar. He wanted us to have a fun experience together, as the three of us had suffered through the death of my dad months before. We had spent three years focusing all our energy on advocating for him and rotating care of him in three shifts, and as a result, the three of us had spent very little quality time together while he was sick. This cooking experience was so unique, and it brought us together for a special evening. We learned how to make homemade pasta, biscotti, risotto and a delicious salad. I can't wait to go back some day. I'd love to bring my husband and experience this as a couple. The grounds of the mansion are a dedicated county park, so I also hope to bring the whole family some day to explore.

I won this Stampin' Up collection years ago as a crop door prize, and thought the flowered paper would be pretty for a mothers day layout. I tend to shy away from large floral prints, but gave it a shot.

sdm-

Manufacturer: Stampin' Up!
Sweet Sorbet Designer Series Paper
Sweet Sorbet Accessory Pack: Cork Embellishments and Twine

Supplier: My Little Scrapbook Store (www.mylittlescrapbookstore.com) West Orange, NJ (I also entered this into the MLSS May challenge.)
Nuvo Glitter Marker Pink Peony
Nuvo Emerald Isle Vintage Drops
Vicki Boutin Let's Wander Prism Glaze
Catherine Pooler Stone Blue ink
Adhesive: Pop Dots and Tonic Studios double ended Glue Pen.

Supplier: Michaels
Recollections Let's Get Lost fussy cut paper
Artist's Loft 0.3 black illustration pen

Alphas: Sticko
Grommet, Mini Alpha Brads: Eyelet Outlet
Date stamp: Staples
Feature paper: Echo Park Made from Scratch.
Silk Flowers, Brads, Thin Cork Veneer, ATG Adhesive: Unknown
Ephemera Chipboard: Unknown.


19 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE your gorgeous photos! What a wonderful gift from your dear husband! I live in PA and have not heard of this place. I will have to look it up and visit sometime. And I am very sorry for the loss of your dad. Your layout is so beautiful. Thank you for joining us at Challenge YOUrself this month. We are all very happy that you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon. It's definitely worth the trip over the Delaware River for you. Hope you get to visit Natirar some day (fyi: The name of the place is Raritan backwards to help you remember.)

      Delete
  2. Lots of beautiful memories on this page and nice take on the challenge! It is definitely a wonderful Mother's Day gift for you ladies. I especially love your handwriting journal on your page! Thank you so much for joining us at Challenge YOUrself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments, Maya. I'm an architect by profession, so all our parents spent tons of $$ in college tuition for us to learn that handwriting. ;) Nowadays, handcrafted drawings (and printing) is a lost art!

      Delete
  3. What a pretty layout and what a wonderful gift from your husband. That must have been a fun experience!! Thank you for playing along with the Challenge Yourself scrapbook challenge this month!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx for the kind words, Kim. I love to cook and consider myself pretty accomplished, but this was such a great first experience and I learned so much! I'd highly recommend treating yourself to a cooking class experience.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful gift and experience! I'm from NJ, and I'll have to look up this place! Sorry about your dad passing. I know it's hard. But we're so glad you shared this story and layout for the Challenge YOUrself challenge this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when you and your loved ones feel safe, i would highly recommend visiting Natirar. It's a luxurious oasis. Even if just to hike around the property doing some social distancing while the restaurant is closed, is worth the visit. The buildings and grounds are magnificent, and the grounds are open to the public as a county park. thx and Stay safe!

      Delete
  5. I think this collection worked perfectly with your photos! and what a special treat your husband gave you three. So so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Ashley. It was so thoughtful of him to create an event for the three of us to share. Thx for the kind words! He's a wonderful husband!

      Delete
  6. You rocked this collection! I love that you used lots of photos and it's a double layout. I dont see that anymore. Thanks for joining in with us at Challenge YOUrself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Tracy, I take WAY TOO MANY photos so I'm still an old fashioned girl who does lots of double layouts, but lately, I've been trying to edit more and do more singles. I do create complimentary page kits with the scraps from the single pages for a layout that would live next to it in my albums in the future. There's a little OCD there, I think! Thx for your thoughtful compliments.

      Delete
  7. Such a lovely dubble! And the story is so sweet! Thanks for joining Challenge YOUrself! Hugs Åsa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx for your kind words, Asa! hope this finds you and yours safe and well during this difficult ime.

      Delete
  8. This is a fantastic layout! What a wonderful experience for you and your family! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Challenge YOUrself! -Lori DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very nice of you, thx Lori! sending you all the best. sdm-

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful gift and a beautiful layout to capture that special memory! - Thanks for playing along with us at the Challenge YOUrself Blog!!

    ReplyDelete