Sunday, February 7, 2021

Goals Jan 2021 Guest Designer Let’s get Painty

One of my 2021 resolutions is to donate blood and plasma whenever possible this year. I watched my dad benefit from an endless supply of transfusions during years of cancer treatments, and although it’s been three years since he died and I’m not ready to scrap a tribute to him in our family album, I thought this would be a good first step.

I was surprised to learn recently that only 2% of the population donates blood. If you are reading this, please consider donating to your local blood bank.

Thank you.
Sdm-


Humbled to be a guest designer for Lasting Memories layout challenges for the Month of February. The theme this month is Techniques. Challenge #534 incorporates paint or other mixed media such as texture paste or sprays. Time to get messy!

 

Some progress photos below:

My original vision was a white Ranger texture paste with Vicki Boutin Storyteller stencil over white background with Nuvo Mica Mist Antique Gold to highlight the texture.

But... I’m always tempted to add color and perhaps I went a bit too far and then tried to overcompensate, but I’m satisfied in the end. I really do just enjoy throwing mixed media on the page and seeing what happens. The Vicki Boutin CreativeFX from the Let’s Wander collection is a beautiful smooth color, and I watered it down to spill and roll around my page, hoping it would get caught in the texture paste pattern.

I’ve seen this technique before on videos, but I think I was too timid and should have spilled more liquid, so I ended up trying to compensate by using two distress oxide inks over another Storyteller stencil, as well as my favorite Quick Quotes powderpuff chaulking ink over the textured pattern as well as all paper edges to soften the bright blue color.

The rest of the papers and embellishments were from the Storyteller line, with the exception of Nuvo Emerald Isle Vintage Drops, kingart fine tip brown #102 pen and unknown grommets and ribbon.

I do want to highlight a new (to me) supply company I used for this layout: The acrylic “2021” embellishment was purchased from Inner Creativity Let It Flow shop as recommended by Heather’s Crafty Life. I purchased a few acrylic embellishments from them that I look forward to using soon.

I also submitted this to the Scrap our Stash February 2021 Remix and My Little Scrapbook Store 2021 Goals challenges:

 

18 comments:

  1. I’m just starting to venture out into mixed media. I was thinking the next step would be texture paste. Feeling inspired by your creation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Enjoy the journey. I recommend an open, less intricate stencil when using texture paste, or I’ve seen it used freehand with no stencil at all. Try mixing in some color into the paste beforehand.
      Susan-

      Delete
  2. I’m just starting to venture out into mixed media. I was thinking the next step would be texture paste. Feeling inspired by your creation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m just starting to venture out into mixed media. I was thinking the next step would be texture paste. Feeling inspired by your creation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a awesome layout! Love the details and stash use. Thanks for your entry in our challenge at Scrap Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great mixed media. Thanks for joining us at Scrap Our Stash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the mixed media! Thanks for playing along at Scrap our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great subject to document! And you did a great job. Thank you for donating blood. Also, my sympathies on the loss of your father. {{{{hugs}}}} Thanks for playing along at SCRAP OUR STASH - DT Gail #staysafe #stayhealthy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your layout and the mix of elements.
    Thanks for playing along with SOS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great use of mixed media! Thanks for joining us at Scrap Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I absolutely LOVE the background you created! Thank you so much for joining us at SOS Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your encouragement is really appreciated. thx eileen!

      Delete