Sunday, February 14, 2021

Adventures Fill Your Soul Feb 2021 Guest Designer Journaling

Continuing to work on our 2020 vacation album to upstate NY last summer. We have been wanting to travel to the Lake Placid area for years, and the pandemic’s limitations on travel provided us the opportunity to look closer to home for our family trip this year. Definitely a silver lining to a difficult year.


Humbled to be a guest designer for Lasting Memories layout challenges for the Month of February. The theme this month is Techniques. Challenge #535 features journaling. I love how this page’s journaling sits atop of the mushroom.

 

I started with the Simple Stories Great Escape collection, which is perfect for documenting the Adirondack region and used Distress Oxide ink through the collection stencil.


Next I practiced my new skills I learned from the first challenge this month, by incorporating a wet embossing technique with Distress Embossing Powder.


Next, I fussy cut and layered leaves from the Great Escape paper and mounted my photos with paper from both the Great Escape and Simple Stories Happy Trails collections, and inked all edges with my favorite Quick Quotes Powderpuff Mocha Mama ink.


Finally, I found the journal I kept during our trip on the simple iPhone Notes App, and took a screen shot of the journaling I wanted to use on this page. When you take a screenshot on this app, it creates a reverse negative image of the text. I thought dark, graphic image would be a great way of providing consistency throughout the album no matter how the designs of the pages change throughout.

I made the mistake in the past of writing my journaling after I was completely done with an album, and found myself dreading having to go back and revisit every page. I think I’m really going to enjoy using this reverse negative screenshot technique throughout this new album.

I also included bits and pieces from the Great Escape collection, as well as an ephemera sticker from a lunch we enjoyed on the trip.

Normally, I enjoy using my architectural hand printing on my layouts, but I’m only 2 pages into this album, and I already love the consistent look the dark typed journaling provides. 

See another page from the album below for how I used the same journaling technique:




Sdm-

No comments:

Post a Comment